one a day

remembering the little things.

Monday, April 24, 2006

The Station

A good post for my 200th, I think!

I was reminded of this parable today when I read Amanda's blog. My Mom sent a "Dear Abby" newspaper clipping to me in 1999 as Travis and I were engaged and planning our wedding. It's so easy to get caught up in the future - next week, next month, when we buy that house/property/vehicle that we forget about today. I have to remind myself often to 'enjoy the journey' as it doesn't come easily to me, but is certainly worth the effort.

My favourite part is the last paragraph.

Now I'm going to go outside in my garden, barefoot!!!!

The Station
by Robert J. Hastings

Tucked away in our subconscious minds is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long, long trip that almost spans the continent. We're traveling by passenger train, and out the windows we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hills, of biting winter and blazing summer and cavorting spring and docile fall.

But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain day at a certain hour we will pull into the station. There sill be bands playing, and flags waving. And once we get there so many wonderful dreams will come true. So many wishes will be fulfilled and so many pieces of our lives finally will be neatly fitted together like a completed jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes for loitering ... waiting, waiting, waiting, for the station.

However, sooner or later we must realize there is no one station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.

"When we reach the station, that will be it !" we cry. Translated it means, "When I'm 18, that will be it ! When I buy a new 450 SL Mercedes Benz, that will be it ! When I put the last kid through college, that will be it ! When I have paid off the mortgage, that will be it ! When I win a promotion, that will be it ! When I reach the age of retirement, that will be it ! I shall live happily ever after !"

Unfortunately, once we get it, then it disappears. The station somehow hides itself at the end of an endless track.

"Relish the moment" is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118:24: "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad. Rather, it is regret over yesterday or fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who would rob us of today.

So, stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot oftener, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more and cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough.

All Rights Reserved
Robert J. Hastings Estate

8 Comments:

At Mon Apr 24, 03:52:00 p.m. 2006 , Blogger Jen said...

So true. Love it!

 
At Tue Apr 25, 07:18:00 a.m. 2006 , Blogger Christy and Dustin said...

Funny, I was just thinking about this last night in the shower of how I long for the busy day to be over so I can have my evenings and look forward to the next day. Or even the next milestone. What else is there but this day?
Good thoughts.

 
At Tue Apr 25, 07:20:00 a.m. 2006 , Blogger Angella said...

Great parable! I think we should add "Eat more Slurpees" to the list

 
At Tue Apr 25, 08:46:00 a.m. 2006 , Blogger Adele said...

I'm so glad you posted this, it was just what I needed to hear this morning. It's so amazing how God speaks to us through others. Thanks. I'll certainly try and appreciate today and not wish for it to be over.

 
At Tue Apr 25, 01:04:00 p.m. 2006 , Blogger Stephanie and Brad said...

I apppreciated that post Karen. I've often thought about that as I rush towards the wedding and the future so 'life can start.' There's so much to experience along the way. A good reminder.

 
At Wed Apr 26, 08:48:00 p.m. 2006 , Blogger Shirley said...

Nice Post! I am reminded of this every now and then...enjoy each day don't wish it away, because before long all you will have is too many memories of wished away days and not enough experiences of simple pleasures...like going barefoot. LOL! It is hard not to look forward to bedtime at 3:00 pm sometimes but really the day still holds so much. We just need to remember to embrace it whether we feel like it or not.

 
At Thu May 04, 01:42:00 a.m. 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

I love that your blog has depth! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog page of my site. I'd love to hear from more people, but that will come. Know you are loved and appreciated from afar because I know you are praying for me and routing for me and I love that I can click and get an update on your life too. I can't wait to see you this summer.

Love, Mel

 
At Thu May 04, 01:45:00 a.m. 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. This is probably not blog proper to leave 2 comments! but what can I say... I love the pics of your kids - they are gorgeous!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home