Remembering Fishy
Well, I have sort of, I mean totally avoided the discussion of death with Sarah.
When Rosco was going to be put down, we were at the vets hanging out with him for a bit before it happened, and, well, what do you say to a 2 year old? I didn't want to tell her that Rosco wasn't feeling good, because the next time Mommy is not feeling good I don't want her to think that I wouldn't be coming back. Didn't want to say that he's never coming back, because how does a 2 year old process that? Mostly we just told her that Rosco was in heaven, and left it at that with no further explanation.
And then Fishy died. She would go and say good morning to Fishy every day. And every afternoon after her nap. So she has noticed that Fishy is not there anymore.
The other day, she was asking about him, and as I fumbled for words, I said, "Sarah, Fishy is lost."
"Oh no!" she cried "Just like my suzie!" (cry, cry, cry)
Scrambling for a concept that I know she understands, I changed my story to, "Fishy is on holidays." (Nana and Opi were recently on holidays where we did not see them for a week, but then they came back).
But where?
Ah, at the pet store, of course, where we bought him.
Wouldn't you know it, as we drove by Total Pet on our way home today, I hear from the back seat, "Let's go visit Fishy!"
I can't get much past that girl!


2 Comments:
Hahaha! I wondered what you told her. I asked her today where Fishy was and she said on holidays because he missed his mom and dad.
:)
Too funny! You really need to be on your toes with that girl!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home